Breast Imaging / Mammography
Breast Imaging/Mammography: The Center for Breast Care’s Breast Imaging Center is an American College of Radiology Breast Imaging Center of Excellence. We offer a full range of the breast imaging services, including screening and diagnostic mammography, ultrasound, MRI, and image-guided biopsy. We are one of the leaders of breast imaging service in the Chicagoland area and our radiologists are specially trained in breast imaging.
UI Health is committed to using the most advanced screening technologies that aid in the early detection of cancer which includes digital mammography.
Digital mammography offers a number of practical advantages and patient conveniences:
· Increase Image Quality
· Shorter Exam Time
· Improved Appointment Access
· The ability to increase contrast when imaging dense tissue, which is important as dense breast tissue and malignant cells both appear to be white on a mammogram.
· Digital images are easily stored and retrieved.
· Digital images allow for the use of computer-aided detection and objective breast density assessment software to aid the radiologist in interpreting the mammogram.
UI Health recommendations:
· Women begin annual screening mammography at age 40.
· Women who are at an increased risk of breast cancer, for example due to family history breast cancer or a personal history of chest radiation for lymphoma, should have a conversation with their doctor about earlier screening and additional breast screening tests, such as MRI.
· Women ages 35 to 39 may obtain one baseline mammogram.
· Screening should continue as long as a woman is in good health and is expected to live 5 more years or longer.
All women should be familiar with the known benefits, limitations, and potential harms linked to breast cancer screening. They also should know how their breasts normally look and feel and report any breast changes to a health care provider right away.